Monday, October 16, 2006

Carrot Soup by Mel

1lb bag carrots, cut into 1/2" slices
1 spanish onion, chopped (or regular white or yellow onion)
6 slices ginger root or 1/2 tst powdered/ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBSP oil
3 cups chicken broth (divided)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

In a big saucepan, saute carrots, onion and garlic in oil, until onion
is transparent.

Add 1 cup of the chicken broth and bring to a boil.

Cover and simmer for 25 minutes (until vegetables are soft).

Allow to cool. (trust me, you want to do this, or you will end up
with hot orange coloured purree all over yourself and kitchen...I
learned this the hard way!)

Place vegetables in a blender or processer and add 2 cups of chicken
broth, salt and pepper and 1 and a half cups water.

Puree in a blender or food processer until smooth.

Chill one hour (or eat it hot)

Options: You may add a half pint of cream to make it a cream soup, or instead of ginger, try nutmeg if you like it

I used to make this when Devon was very small, because he loves carrots. I haven't made it in years, but I think I will make it this week. If you do try it, I hope you like it.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I want to try this one!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger karen said...

Mel I made this on Sunday night and it was LUSH. So yummy. We popped out while it was cooling and when we came back the smell was incredible.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

YAY! So SO SO happy you enjoyed it Kees. Isn't sharing recipes great..especially when they are really enjoyed by friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home