Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Guilt Free Fries


I must confess, I'm pretty exhaused tonight and, although I wanted my first contribution here to be special, I just don't have the energy to do much more than this. This isn't my recipe, it's from Oprah's chef (Rosie Daley) and I saw it on her show a long time ago. Because I love fries, I was grateful to get a recipe that had a mere half gram of fat per serving (compared to over 15 in regular fries). They're simple and really good.

- 5 large baking potatoes
- light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites
- seasoning (I use paprika, garlic and a bit of Greek...the original recipe called for Cajun)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut potatoes up....I like wedges, some like shoestring.

Coat a baking sheet with 3 sprays of the cooking spray.

Combine egg whites and seasoning in a bowl. Add potatoes and coat in mixture. Spoon covered potatoes onto baking sheet and ensure they're in a single layer, not overlapping each other.

Place in oven for 40 minutes (shoestring) or longer (wedges)...depending on your preference. Turn with a spatula every couple of minutes. We like ours on the crispy side, so we leave them in for nearly an hour.

Enjoy!!

7 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Oh my God Debs, I am soooo trying this recipe this week! Thanks! I love french fries, but don't love the guilt that goes with em :) You rock!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I bake my fries in the oven as well, but then end up coating them in oil, so this is a step better - thanks. I'll bet the egg white makes them nice and crispy.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Deb said...

No problem Mel. The egg whites help to make a coating on them but the insides stay nice and fluffy. It's actually been awhile since I've made them, so I think a batch is in order here as well.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Barbara, that's funny...I think we were both commenting at the same time (I'm just a little slower!) - the egg whites DO make them crispier, for sure.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Oooh, I haven't had fries in forever! Those look really good.
My current dinner is microwave popcorn. Your recipe sounds better. Perhaps for tomorrow :)

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Im gonna make these tomorrow night Deb. I think I will use greek herbs, as well..that's what I have in my spice cupboard LOL

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Allison....I hear ya' on the popcorn dinner. I'm ashamed to say that my dinner the other night after work consisted of a cold can of green beans...RIGHT OUT OF THE CAN!!! Oh my God, I'm ashamed to admit it. (I love them). Sometimes there's just more important things on the back burner than food prep.

Mel...Greek seasoning's the best. I was on an Italian kick for awhile - now it's Greek all the way! It makes for great garlic bread. Let me know how your fries turn out. They're virtually fool proof.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home