Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cereal Muffins

This recipe is an old favorite in our house. I got it off a cereal box ages ago - as a matter of fact I don't even think they sell this particular kind of cereal anymore. So I just use whatever I have on hand (no, Fruit Loops don't qualify as "cereal" here). Preferably one with nuts and/or fruit in it. I tend to use Oatmeal Raisin Crisp the majority of the time. The original recipe called for Kelloggs Common Sense Oat Bran and WW cereal.

1 1/2 C (375 ml) all purpose flour
1/2 C (125 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
1 TBSP (15 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon (I add more)
1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
1 1/4 C (300 ml) skim milk
2 egg whites
3 TBSP (45 ml) vegetable oil
3/4 C (175 ml) mashed ripe banana (I add more)
2 C (500 ml) cereal
3/4 C (175 ml) raisins (or less, if there are already raisins in the cereal. You can also improvise and add dried cranberries, etc.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tins.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine milk, egg whites and oil...mix well. Then add bananas, cereal and raisins. Continue to mix until well blended.

Add flour mixture to cereal mixture and stir JUST UNTIL COMBINED - DO NOT OVERMIX. Portion batter into greased muffin cups (12).

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

5 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Allison said...

I make a variation of these too!
I love throwing different stuff in and seeing what comes out :)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Mmm I love muffins for breakfast, fresh out of the oven!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I know Allison...isn't it great to just "wing it" and see what happens? Please, provide any suggestions for add ins....I'm always game for trying new variations.

I love muffins for breakfast too Mel - Linds is a hard one to get to eat and the smell pulls her in!!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Mmmmm I love a muffin with substance to it! I am going to try these this weekend.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

These are awesome! I made mine with cranberries and Honey Nut Cheerios. I think that applesauce or pumpkin in place of the mashed banana would also be nice. Pumpkin-Cranberry or Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip....Banana Chocolate sounds good too! Thanks for the recipe!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home