Wednesday, October 18, 2006

School Bus Cookies by Mel's Mom

I emailed my mom last night to ask for some recipes from the Harrowsmith Cookbook, and she replied with one of my favorite recipes from childhood! My sister and I loved these cookies. Thanks Mom!!

Her email as follows:

The recipe that comes to mind immediately is the one for School Bus Cookies. I used to make that one all the time for you because they were so yummy and were also nutritious containing wheat germ, oat bran and other things with names kids would think disgusting.

I think they are on page 273 unless that is the page for banana bread. By the way if you ever see another copy of Volume #1 book let me know. The binding is starting to break on mine and it is going to start falling apart. The other volumes are like new because every time I looked for a recipe when wondering what to do with ingredients I had on hand, Volume One always had the recipe of choice. If you need any of the recipes I used let me know and I will send them to you.
Mom

School Bus Cookies (Source: Harrowsmith Cookbook Volume One)

1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup bran
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup finely chopped dates
3/4 cup wheat germ

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then stir in bran, oats, dates, and wheat germ. Mix well and drop onto cookie sheet from spoon.
Bake at 375 F for 10 - 12 minutes.
If you want softer, chewier cookies, let dough stand for 1/2 hour before baking.

5 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Hmmm, bran...interesting. I don't think I've ever used that in cookies before. They sound good!

I wish my mom knew how to email, or how to work a computer, because I'd love to share my stuff now. Soon enough.

We gotta get some more dinner foods on here. I'm really tempted to make cookies now, but I'll be good and just stick to drinking my tea.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love the way your mom's train of thought works!

And dates in cookies? Yes!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Allison - Seriously, you can't tell there is anything nutritious in them, they taste sooooo good! Maybe she used oat bran, I will have to ask. It's awesome that my mom has email, but the only downside is she has email at work only, not at home :(
I have a chili bean and cheese casarole recipe I can post for you. I'm not sure if you eat dairy tho??? cause it has milk and cheese in it. I just made it tonight and it was pretty good.

Barbara - I know eh? Smart lady :) The dates make them so moist and yummy. But as kids we probably would have revolted at the mention of them!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Lacto-Ovo Veggie head here. A have my morals, but a life without cheese isn't worth living.

Post the chili bean recipe please :)

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

LOL Ok! I couldn't imagine living without cheese. Goodness..two nights in a row I've made diner with no meat...my boys are going to revolt soon haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home