Thursday, October 19, 2006

To Die For Salad

My Auntie Anne loves entertaining and is known for being very creative....she's just one of those people that puts a special touch on everything she does. It's not uncommon for me to come away from one of her gatherings with a recipe in hand...this being one of them. The funny thing is, when I learned where SHE got this one, it turned out I have the cookbook containing it (Jean Pare's "Company's Coming"....Favorites, Vol. 1). I love the Company's Coming series...a lot of great stuff in them. I like this one because it's delicious...but it's also very easy and can (should) be done in advance, to let the flavors all come together. It's more of a "summer" salad, but I like it anytime.

JAPANESE CHICKEN SALAD:

SALAD -

2 TBSP Sesame seeds (toasted)
1/2 C Slivered almonds (toasted)

2 C Cubed, cooked chicken
1 Small head of cabbage, shredded
1 pkg Instant chicken noodles, crumbled (the Mr. Noodles/Ichiban type)
2-3 Chopped green onions

DRESSING -

pkg Noodle "seasoning" packet, from instant noodles
1/2 C Salad Oil
3 TBSP Vinegar
1 TBSP Granulated sugar
1 tsp MSG (I omit this)
1 tsp Salt (this too)
1/2 tsp Pepper

*NOTE: You can adjust the ingredients according to taste...I tend to add a bit more of everything in the dressing (except the instant noodle seasoning/salt).

To make salad: Put seasame seeds and almonds in a single layer in pan. Toast at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until golden...watch them - MAKE SURE THEY DON'T BURN!! Remove from oven and set aside.

Put chicken into large bowl. Add cabbage, crumbled noodles and onions. Mix together.

Time to make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the seasoning packet from the noodles, the oil, vinegar, sugar, msg, salt and pepper. Stir together (or shake, as I do). Pour over chicken/cabbage mixture. Stir, then cover and place in fridge overnight.

Just before serving, sprinkle sesame seeds and almonds in. Toss lightly, just to distribute, then serve. Yum!


(That's Auntie Anne in the middle...mom's on her right, Auntie Lorna to her left)

5 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Awww that's so awesome that you included a photo Deb *G*
I will try this one out soon

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

PS Company's Coming series cookbooks ARE the bestest. I love the muffins and more one.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Deb said...

You bet Mel...a lot of really delicious stuff in those books.

The pic was just taken last Saturday at River Rock, so I was thrilled to be able to include it. I'd done the post without a pic, then thought "hey, why not show who Auntie Anne (my Godmother) is??" How convenient that I had a recent one that also included Mom in it.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That salad sounds very yummy. Do you what I love best about salad? When someone makes one for me? Anybody offering to make this for me?

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I wonder if we can e-deliver?? I'll try..might be messy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home