Friday, November 03, 2006

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

My Mom used to make zucchini loafs all the time when I was growing up. The only way I'd eat it was if she'd make a chocolate one too. She obliged, thus creating our family chocolate zucchini recipe. Its good, I promise!

3/4 cup margarine or butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
2 1/1 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat eggs in, one at a time. In separate large bowl, sift flour together with salt, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and cocoa. Add sifted dry ingredients in three additions alternately with grated zucchini and milk to butter mixture. Stir in vanilla (and nuts). Divide into two 9X5 greased and flours loaf pans. Bake at 350'F for 1 hour.

Eat one, freeze one.

10 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Ohhhh, that is the only way to go with chocolate "cake". Without zucchini, I can't stand the texture of cake, but with zucchini, it's so soft and moist....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nice!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Zucchini is one of those great veggies that take on the flavour of whatever it is with. Fortunately in this case it is with chocolate.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Alana, choc zucchini cake is one of my favourite things. Mmmm, I might make it this even. I love how you can freeze it too, and it still tastes good.

Very true Barb. I don't think I've ever had zucchini just on its own...and probably never will!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Alana Elliott said...

Mom mom actually cuts up zucchini into about half-inch slices, sautees them in oil and butter, then adds salt and pepper. Takes the health-factor out of it, but they're not bad.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Alana Elliott said...

*my Mom

sheesh.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Hmm, that actually doesn't sound too bad Alana. I have two left over zuchinni's from baking, I'll have to give that a try!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Hmm, that actually doesn't sound too bad Alana. I have two left over zuchinni's from baking, I'll have to give that a try!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

MMMMM I love zucchini! I usually cut them into round slices and saute in butter. They are really good if you sprinkle parmesan cheese over them once they are browned!!!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger ericaruby79 said...

is that 2 1/2 cups flour?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger janet said...

We are having a soup supper tonight and for desert: this zucchini load, topped with fresh raspberries and ice cream. \This is a really yummy cake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home