Monday, October 23, 2006

Pumpkin Spice Cake

I saw this recipe on Martha Stewart, but she took it from somewhere else...you know the story. Usually, my test to see if the cake will turn out is if the batter tastes especially good. This cake passed the test. Best cooked in a bundt pan, and you can use whichever milk is on hand.


1 ½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup canned pumpkin

Orange Glaze
1 ½ cup of icing sugar (powered sugar)
3 tablespoons orange juice

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a nonstick 10-inch tube pan; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue mixing for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and zest; beat to combine. Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Add pumpkin and mix until incorporated.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Drizzle with orange glaze.

11 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I HAVE a bundt pan! I don't think I've ever used it either, so this will be the perfect opportunity to try it out.

This is the cake that is currently being devoured in Newcastle, is it? (check out Ben's site)

I think I need to make this in honour of Hallowe'en.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Allison said...

The one and only. Lets up there are no newspaper headlines tomorrow ;)

Yes, its a perfect Halloween cake! Make sure you really grease the bundt pan, because they can be really tricky to pop out.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Mmm I bet that's so good. I don't have a bundt pan, but I've wanted one and it's about time I get one...you just gave me a good excuse to :)
That orange glaze sounds scrumptious!
I usually grease and flour my cake pans.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Same here Mel, I did however forget to flour the pan when I made this cake, so there was a little trouble getting it out. I just put more glaze on the torn parts ;)

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

MMMM good thinkin! Icing/Glaze is good "Spackle" xD

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I love pumpkin as much as I love oatmeal. My God, this place is a dream...such yummy stuff. Now I just have to find some extra time to TRY all these wonderful recipes...every single one looks fantastic.

It's rare to find something that everyone in the house likes....this looks promising!

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Allison said...

I was surprised how much I like it Deb. I also am not a big fan of icing, and this glaze really is just drizzled on, so its not too rich.
This cake is as light as baking with 6 eggs and sugar can be ;P

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger First Year said...

Thanks for the recipe, I am really like to like this blog. We love to cook and having an appetizer party soon....any ideas? :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Ben - I made it in a normal baking pan as well, but I found the edges burned a little too fast for my liking. You're right on checking it often. Toothpick test never fails.

Lemon is such a GOOD idea. Oh, now I want to make it again.

Hi First Year - I'm sure we all have good appetizer ideas floating around.
At Thanksgiving recently we made little dinner rolls stuffed with cranberry sauce, and brie. Not 'appetizer' but so good, they need to be shared.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I just copied down the recipe and am buying ingredients today.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Jas B said...

Oh Allison, the pumpkin spice cake rocks. Barb made it and brought some for us as well. Yumm-O.

And Ben, the lemon glaze was awesome. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home