Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cheddar Chili Bean Casserole by Mel

We had this last night. It turned out great. MMMMMM CHEESE!
Preheat oven to 350 F Make sure you have a large casserole dish with a cover

Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
2 cups grated aged (sharp) cheddar cheese
2 - 19 oz tins of kidney beans, drained ( I usually buy one tin of white and one of red )
1 - 14 oz tin seasoned stewed tomatoes ( I buy the mexican style )
1 - 4 oz tin mild green chilies
1/2 cup Uncooked INSTANT rice - Such as Minute Rice*
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

*I made the mistake first time I made this, not reading the recipe properly, and used regular long grain rice. Big mistake! Yes, I'm a doofus! Please use only instant rice for this recipe!

Directions:
Melt butter/margarine in skillet and cook onion until clear. Sprinkle with flour and stir in milk. Boil one minute until thickened. Add Cheese and stir until melted. Transfer to casserole dish
Stir in beans, tomatos, chilies, rice, salt and pepper.
mix well, and cover, and bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and rice is soft.

5 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Oh my God, this sounds scrumptious...everything we like here. Thanks, another new one we'll be trying out soon!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

It's really easy too Deb. :) Enjoy!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I think I'm going to make this Sunday night Mel. It sounds good, and easy too. If I wasn't so lazy right now I'd make it. I'm going for record - how many times in the week can you have microwave popcorn?
NO, I have left over sushi, problem solved.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love casseroles. They are the ultimate in comfort food. Sadly the rest of my family hates themm and how much casserole can one person eat (and still remain only one person)?

I might sneak this one on them though.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Let me know what you thought of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home