Monday, November 13, 2006

Berni's World Famous Cranberry Orange Muffins

I just realized that these are actually from the Canadian Living cookbook, and all this time I had thought my sister Berni invented them. She did introduce them to me, however, and they are my favourite muffin, bar none.
They are even better the second or third day and they freeze really well, so you can easily double or even triple the batch if you are so inclined.

Cautious: highly addictive
Combine:
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
Add:
1 cup whole cranberries (fresh or frozen)
Mix together:
3/4 cup orange juice
grated peel of 1 orange (I've used 2 if I'm feeling really orangey)
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup melted butter
Add to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
Bake in large muffin cups at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
(You can also make into a loaf by putting into a 9x5" pan and baking at 350F for ~50 minutes.)

4 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Ohhhh, those look absolutely delicious!!!!!!!
I'm all about the loafs these days, I'm going to try this recipe for sure. My friends are getting mad, as I keep pawning everything off, and 'making them fat'...lol.
But I like to bake and then give it away.

Until I was 13 I thought my Mom invented apple crisp. I was utterly crushed when I found it in a recipe book.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Awww, your mom probably made apple crisp so many times that she could have invented it. Oooh that reminds me, I should post my rhubarb crunch recipe...

I don't give away my baking fast enough, because I AM getting fat. I've never tried these as a loaf, but I can attest to how good the muffins are.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Deb said...

These look to die for. Ty & Fiona LLLLOVE everything cranberry...I could probably throw cranberries in an old sneaker and bake it and they'd love it. Well, maybe not, but you get the picture. They're away right now but will definitely bribe them with these upon their return. Now, what do I need done?.........

I think I invented chocolate. Didn't I?

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

mmmm, baked cranberries in an old sneaker! My fav, Dev!

And if you did not invent chocolate, I am still certain that it was a woman who did. After all, isn't that what most of us depend on to get us through those rough spots in life?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home