Saturday, November 25, 2006

Crisp Days Deserve Crisps

This stuff is my new best friend...I love it.

Dad recently gave us so many apples from his trees that we couldn't eat them fast enough. After giving some to everyone in the neighbourhood, I still had too many. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"...at this rate we should live to be 106. And "an apple for the teacher"..."here, how about 53?". Next year I'm going to make sure I take some down to the food bank...this year my car was broken down for 3 weeks out of the past 4. And good intentions just don't get it done...I needed transportation!

So how does this all tie in together?...let me tell you. I decided to make an apple crisp to use some of the apples that were starting to soften. Having searched for my favorite, simple "recipe" (it really isn't much of one - crisps are so basic), I decided to "wing it" when I couldn't find it. And it was the best damn apple crisp I'd ever made....Ty concurred with that. I was going to take a picture to post, but we ate it all straight out of the oven. I made another and we did it again.

I don't have exact "amounts", so wing it, as I did. Foolproof....really it is.

-Butter/margarine (to "grease" bottom of baking dish)
-Apples (as many as you need to fill the bottom of whatever baking dish you're using) - I used a small casserole dish and 5-6 small apples
-Lemon Juice (I used fresh stuff)

-Brown Sugar
-More Butter/margarine
-Rolled Oats (I use the instant ones, pictured above)
-Flour

"Topping" from Quaker Supreme Oatmeal (Maple Walnut flavour)

Butter a baking/casserole dish of any size, depending on how many you're feeding. Peel apples and cut into small wedges/pieces. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the apple slices and toss. Put in greased casserole dish and set aside.

In a bowl combine* 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/4 C flour, 2 packs instant oats, 4 TBSP butter/margarine in a bowl. Mix together and, if it seems a little too "dry", add a bit more butter. (*You can play around with the amounts of the ingredients, this is approximately how much I used).

Dump mixture on top of apples and spread out, evenly.

Sprinkle on one pack of the "toppping".

Bake at 325 for approximately 30 minutes.

Top with ice cream and enjoy.

5 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

There truly is nothing like a crisp. This reminds me I must share my rhubarb crunch with you guys.

I know you love oats as much as I do, Deb. Do you ever use large flakes oats in your crisps? You can really taste them.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Allison said...

mmm, sounds good.

rhubarb crunch and pineapple fruitcake!! i'll be waiting.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I haven't used large flakes Barb - thanks, I'll try that for sure. I DO love oats and I'd add a lot more to this recipe, but my kids liked it this way. If I were making it just for me......(a whole different story/recipe).

And rhubarb crunch sounds like something I'd eat right here and now, for breakfast. (Our "Bay" used to have a restaurant upstairs that had cooked rhubarb with an oatmeal cookie on the side...I bought that everytime I was there!).

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger karen said...

Crikey blimey that all sounds SO good. I'm starving :D

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Deb said...

(I love the "crikey blimey" stuff)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home