Monday, November 13, 2006

Six Ingredients Or Less


This is one of my all time favorite cookbooks. Why? Because it simplifies things. Instead of long lists of ingredients that I've never heard of (and don't particularly want to buy for one recipe only), each and every recipe in this book has six ingredients or less. It also has entire "menus" for meal planning in the last section (including dessert), with a grocery list for each one and "short cuts" to speed things up. Even those with the weakest culinary skills can throw together a meal fit for a king with this book. Here's one of the many recipes I'll be posting from this book:

SMOTHERED CHICKEN:

1 chicken, cut up
1/2 C flour & 1/3 C flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 tbsp butter
1/2 C finely chopped onion

Wash chicken and pat dry. Combine the 1/2 C flour, salt & pepper - I sneak extras in sometimes (cheater), like garlic powder or Italian seasoning. Roll chicken in flour mixture to coat. Heat butter in large, heavy skillet then brown chicken on all sides. Place chicken, skin side up, in a baking dish or roasting pan (approx. 9 X 13"). Add onion to dripping in skillet and cook until soft. Add 1 1/2 C water to skillet and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken. Cover tightly with a lid or foil. Bake at 350 for an hour. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Carefully pour liquid from baking dish into skillet used for browning and bring to a boil. Combine the remaining 1/3 C flour with a cup of water and mix until smooth. Add to hot liquid. Cook, stirring constantly until gravy thickens. Taste for seasoning. Makes 4 servings.

6 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That does sound delicious, yet simple (always important). And because I always try to sneak extra veggies in everything, I would probably add chopped celery and mushrooms to the onions. Oooh and maybe some spinach.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Deb said...

You do the same thing that I do Barbara. Because I LOVE veggies, I'll sneak 'em in any way I can. So we'll rename this book "Starting With 6 Ingredients". That works.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I can handle 6 ingredients, makes life easier.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Deb said...

It does make life easier, doesn't it Allison? And no New Zealand HuHu grubs or baloots (half hatched chicken eggs from the Phillipines) to speak of. Just stuff like chicken and onions. I like easy.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

I think I need this cookbook! I also want some of the Rachel Ray cookbooks too. I've seen her on TV often, and her meals always look GREAT and very simple.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Ty just bought his girlfriend the cook book(s) from that Italian cooking show...I forget her name. Some of those recipes look great (I'll steal some).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home