Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sushi Goodness

(partly reposted from my blawg) We are off to go get Sushi. I like this sunday tradition. Sushi Sundays!! I found a recipe for California Rolls from Sushi Day dot com. One day I will learn how to make my own! Do any of you know how to make Sushi? Barb, when I move to Calgary, do you want to learn with me? I think it would be fun!!!!! :) Happy Sunday!

Ingredients

* 6 sheets of nori
* 6 cups sumeshi
* 1 medium avocado
* 1 cup imitation crab
* 1 small cucumber (optional)
* ΒΌ cup mayonnaise (to taste)
* sesame seeds

Cooking Directions

1. Cook sushi rice.
2. Mix imitation crab and mayonnaise, separating crab pieces and mashing into smaller pieces.
3. Cut the avocado in half, discarding the pit.
4. Cut off the hard skin and discard.
5. Slice the avocado into thin sticks.
6. If you choose to use cucumber, slice it into long, thin sticks.
7. Using avocado sticks, cucumber(if desired), and the imitation crab mix as your fillings, roll and slice the sushi
8. Garnish with sesame seeds, and serve with wasabi, shoyu, and ginger (if desired). Enjoy!


7 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Move to Calgary? That's not allowed. We need you here, making THIS province better.

My M & D lived next door to the most wonderful Japanese family who made them trays of homemade sushi. Spoiled. God rest their souls - they were amazing people. "Yuki" died and the next year his asparagus (which apparently takes several years to become "ready") was ready. It was a sad time, watching the "new" neighbours let it go to seed and not even pick it. Or his organic gardening secrets that were passed along to us, along with the apple/pears from his tree. I'm hungry.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

I think it's nearly time for my next big adventure. I lived in Cranbrook all my life, and didn't move until the spring I turned 30. I am ready to move again now, but Sean is dragging his feet, and coming up with excuses, but he's about 98% sold on the idea. I can be very persausive.

Thanks for sharing the story about the Japanese family! Very sad about the neglect of his garden though. Im glad he passed on some of his secrets!

I am going to be looking for some sushi kits in the next while here.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Fine, move to Calgary, as I make way back out to Van.
See if I make your sushi recipe.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Allison said...

No, I hope, if this move is what you want that you find success in Calgary :)

You've all just been witness to split personality, bought to you by Allison ;P

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

LOL!!! Allison you are so funny *G* I think by the time we save the money to pay off Sean's fines on his drivers lisence, and get everything arranged, save money to move, find jobs and a place to live, it will be a while yet. So ya, we will probably be here for a while yet!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Noooo, move here right now!!!! I want to learn how to make sushi with you. But mostly just hang with you.
We were actually going to order sushi tonight for Grey Cup but they told us it would be 2 hours for delivery and we had both had a couple of glasses of wine, so nobody was driving, so no sushi tonight. But if I had checked here sooner, I could have made California rolls.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Barb - I want to be there like yesterday!!! We will have sooo much fun! Im really going to push Sean to get those fines paid off so we can rent a truck to move!

Sorry you didnt get sushi tonight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home