Saturday, December 02, 2006

Speaking of Crisp ...

My garden was bursting with rhubarb this year.

It really is a remarkable plant, which will thrive almost anywhere. When we first moved into our house, we discovered a rhubarb plant growing under a row of spruce trees. Nothing grows under spruce trees. We dug up a chunk of the rhubarb, transplanted it to a dirt patch under the kitchen window, and now we are inundated with the stuff.

Fortunately, I love it.

This is one of my favourite recipes. I generally add more oats and go heavy on the topping.

Mix together until crumbly:
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ cup oatmeal
1 ¾ cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup melted butter

Press half of mixture into 13 x 9’ pan.
Cover with:
5 - 6 cups chopped rhubarb

Combine and cook until thick:
1 ½ cups white sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1 ½ cup water
1 ½ tsp vanilla

Pour over rhubarb and top with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350°C for 45 minutes.

8 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Barb...I didn't realize rhubarb was so easy - I'm going to grow some now. I tend to be a plant murderer, with a black thumb rather than green. It always reminds me of "the hood", when we were about six and used to sit in the neighbours rhubarb patch, eating it and cringing/making faces. I love the stuff too...I will have to try this one.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Be careful, Deb, it's pretty addictive. We used to eat rhubarb out of the garden too, but used to take a bowl of sugar with us.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Aaah, we weren't that creative!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Shhh...I used to do that too Barb.
Rhubarb is a family fav. Although my brother isn't allowed to eat it...produces too much gas and he becomes unbearable to be next too.

Sorry, I should have filed that under TMI.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Mmmmmm I havent' had rhubarb in a long time! I like crisps with lots of topping too Barb!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

You guys were just a lot tougher, Deb. No sugar - wow!

Rhubarb gas, Allison? That's a new one for me. Hate to see what he's like around legumes!

It's all about the topping, as far as I'm concerned, Mel. Otherwise it's far too healthy for me.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love rhubarb, i have several recipies for rhubarb things, i thinkmy favourite is one with rhubarb and pineapple and the topping is kind of a tea biscuit stuff.......

or maybe its the rhubarb sour cream pie with crunchy brown sugar topping

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh..another thing that was good...rhubarb juice mixed with 7-up

 

Post a Comment

<< Home