Tuesday, January 09, 2007

(Chicken) Fajitas

Several years ago there was a really great local restaurant here called PJ Burger & Sons. As a matter of fact, when I was in labour and about to deliver Tyler, my hubby and my cousin snuck over there to have a milkshake and a bite to eat. It was across the street from the hospital and I was furious...they came back into the delivery room smelling of the delicious stuff and I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours!!

Anyhow, one of our favorites dishes there was the chicken fajitas...they'd bring them to the table still crackling away in the cast iron frying pan. Although they wouldn't reveal their "secret" recipe, I managed to figure it out and, to this day, it's Tyler's absolute favorite meal. I don't use measured amounts, so just "wing it", according to your taste. But the cumin and lime are the key ingredients...be generous with these two.

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can substitute beef/pork)

peppers - I use orange, yellow & red (you may want green also)
a cooking onion
cooking oil

3-4 limes (we sometimes use 5 if they're small. More lime juice = tastier, moister fajitas)
half a dozen or so cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
a very liberal shake of cumin
good shake of chili powder
another of paprika
pinch of salt & a bit of (preferably freshly) ground black pepper

cheese (whatever kinds you like)
lettuce (again, whatever your preference is)
green onion
tomatoes
sour cream
salsa
guacamole
(and any other toppings you want to include...my kids put hot sauce on. Some like olives)

tortillas

* * * * *

Preheat oven to 275.

Chop chicken into bite size pieces or strips. Wash hands well afterward and don't reuse utensils that have been used for the chicken (duh). Cover and put in fridge while prepping other stuff.

Wrap tortillas tightly in tin foil and place in oven.

Mix together in a small bowl - fresh squeezed lime juice, garlic, cumin (we use tons) and a good shake or two of chili powder, paprika, & ground black pepper. (I don't add salt here, as I season the chicken as it cooks).

Prep other "toppings" - grate cheese; chop lettuce, green onion and tomatoes. Cover and place on a serving platter in the fridge until ready to serve.

Heat oil in skillet - cast iron is best but, in all honesty, I don't have one so I use a non stick frying pan. Fry peppers and white onion until done...remove from skillet, set aside. Add a bit more oil to the pan and wait a few seconds until it heats up over med/high heat. Put chicken in the pan and fry until nearly done (I season it a bit as it's frying - a little salt, pepper, paprika and, again, quite a bit of cumin - it has a nice flavor). When chicken's nearly done, add the peppers/onion back into pan, then dump the marinade in from the fridge and crank the heat up high for a minute or two (until it's bubbling away). While this is happening, take toppings you've prepped from the fridge and set out. Also set out a bowl of sour cream & guac. Spoon chicken mixture into a large bowl and set out with other ingredients when done.

Remove tortilla package from fridge and set on table. Have guests each take one out, then rewrap to keep warm.

Fill tortillas with desired filling and wrap up tightly, folding in one end as you do so.

Enjoy!

(*Note - any meat can be substituted for the chicken.)

10 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Deb, that sounds so good! I make chicken fajitas fairly regularly but have never thought to add lime and cumin! And I love lime and cumin! Brilliant!

I am certainly making this dish this week.

Thanks!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Thanks Barbara...the two are SSSSOOO good together. Let me know what you think.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Deb said...

UPDATE: Barbara...Ty just called from his girlfriend's place. They made these last night and, being the aspiring chef that he is, he one-upped me and made them better. Mix the "marinade" in the bowl but don't actually place the chicken in it...set it aside to use later. Brown the chicken in the oil, add the peppers/onions and THEN add the lime mixture, near the end (without ever putting the chicken in it to marinade). This reduces the amount that is "simmered off" and gives more liquid in the finished product. Duh, I should've thought of that.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I just had fajitas the other night...no meat but still...love em.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh good plan, Ty, and then the chicken is nicely browned as well.

I'll bet that marinade woulld be great with peppers and onions and whatever veg as well, Allison.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Deb said...

actually Allison...you're onto something there. I mostly put the peppers/onions in mine anyhow and adding some other stuff in place of the meat makes sense. Good plan.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Gledwood said...

Now this recipe I'm keeping for later. YummeeEE..!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Hey Gledwood...check it out, it's so easy.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I'm updating the recipe for a faster/tastier result (this happens with me...as I cook, I adjust things accordingly)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger J said...

oh my goodness! i have been searching for this recipe!!! my husband loves it. you should see his eyes light up when he reminisces about it. i'm going to make these for him this weekend. thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home