Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dad's Omelettes


(I googled this picture because, unfortunately, I don't make omelettes anymore. My kids won't have anything to do with eggs now so I rarely buy them. And, when I do, I buy the Born3 free range ones, they're so good, much better than the other ones.)

Anyhow, Dad made omeletttes a lot at home. We'd often do the "breakfast for dinner" thing and I loved when we did that. They were so damned tasty that I must share the recipe (or as much of it as I remember...we tend to "wing" it when cooking. Therefore, as is usually the case with me, amounts are variable and you decide how much you want!).

INGREDIENTS:

EGGS (duh)
MILK
S & P
COOKING OIL

BACON
MUSHROOMS
ONION
TOMATOES
CHILI POWDER
CHEESE

Very simple...cut the bacon into little pieces and begin to fry it, preferably in a non stick frypan. Drain grease out of the pan as you go along if necessary. If you're not using nonstick, make sure you leave a little in there. Cut mushrooms into little pieces and dice some onion and throw it in with the bacon. When the onion's nearly transparent, add some tomato (I use a bit of canned, chopped tomato) and a good shot of chili powder. Set aside.

Heat another non stick frypan with a little oil in it. Swirl the oil around to coat entire pan bottom then dump out excess. In a bowl whisk up eggs with a bit of milk (just a touch!). Add S & P. Dump in hot pan and, again, swirl around gently to cover the bottom with egg. If you don't do this the outer edge of the omelette will be too thin/overcooked and the middle won't be done properly...so, it's important. I keep running the egg over into the outside edge until it's a nice even layer in the pan. When egg is nearly done, put some grated cheese on one side of it then add some of the "filling" mix. Gently lift the other side of the egg and fold over the top. Carefully remove to a plate and enjoy!

Know what?....I'm gonna' go make one right now, damn it!

2 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

mmmmmm, I want one of those right now.

We sometimes do breakfast for dinner too. I love eggs and they are so fast and easy. If it weren't for the family I think I'd do a boiled egg every night.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Deb said...

i've had breakie for dinner two nights in a row...the beauty of when i'm the only one eating/here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home